Geoscience BC Report 2011-10
Rock Physical Property Measurements to Aid Geophysical Surveys in the Nechako Basin Oil and Gas Region, central British Columbia
by G. Andrews, S. Quane, R.J. Enkin, K. Russell, A. Kushnir, L. Kennedy, N. Hayward and M. Heap
Back to Data Releases Main Page
- Report Description
- Miocene and younger basalts (e.g., Chilcotin Group) and Eocene to Jurassic age volcanic and sedimentary rocks (e.g., Endako Group, Ootsa Lake Group, Taylor Creek Group) underlie significant portions of the Interior Plateau and Nechako Basin of central British Columbia. There is potential for unexploited hydrocarbon and base metal resources underlying these younger volcanic and sedimentary successions, making this area of significant economic interest.
Geophysical surveys (both seismic reflection and magnetotellurics), funded by Geoscience BC and the Geological Survey of Canada, have concentrated on (1) portions of the Nechako Basin for hydrocarbon potential within Jurassic and Cretaceous sedimentary rocks and (2) portions of the Interior Plateau for base metal exploration. To help interpret variations in geophysical signals, we have measured the geophysical properties (density, porosity, magnetic susceptibility and remanence, electrical resistivity and chargeability, and seismic velocity) for 107 samples of the key lithologies of the Nechako Basin. This report was funded by Geoscience BC to aid in processing raw seismic and magnetotelluric data with the intention of extracting more accurate geophysical images of the
subsurface and delineation of exploration targets.
- Suggested Reference
- Andrews, G., Quane, S., Enkin, R.J., Russell, K., Kushnir, A., Kennedy, L., Hayward, N. and Heap, M. (2011): Rock physical property measurements to aid geophysical surveys in the Nechako Basin oil and gas region, central British Columbia; Geoscience BC, Report 2011-10, 40 p.
- Additional Links
- Project Page - Contains additional information on this project, including posters and technical articles.
- Project Page - Geoscience BC's Nechako Basin initiatives
- Search Other Projects
- If you are interested in other Geoscience BC Projects of this type or in this area, try searching through all our projects: