Geoscience BC at Minerals South Conference and Website Updates
October 26, 2009- Geoscience BC will be at the Minerals South Conference in Cranbrook October 27-29th. Come see us at the Tuesday afternoon short course "An Introduction to Reading Geophysical Maps" led by Peter Kowalczyk (Geoscience BC Project Team), or at our booth on Wednesday and Thursday. We'll be raffling off one 32 Gb memory stick with all of our public datasets at both the short course on Tuesday and at our booth on Thursday afternoon.
Geoscience BC (GBC) has added several new files for download on the GBC website. The following is a list of the updates which can be accessed through the links provided below or on the relevant GBC report pages.
GBC Report 2009-03 "Using Geochemistry and Neural Networks to Map Geology under Glacial Cover" by C.T. Barnett and P.M. Williams. These data were previously only provided as pdf files:
- Georeferenced images for the 42 element leveled geochemistry - Part 1 (zip, 114 MB), and Part 2 (zip, 111 MB).
- Grid files for the 42 element leveled geochemistry - QUEST Geochem Grids (zip, 21 MB).
- Shapefiles for K-means clustering (zip, 903 KB), spectral clustering (zip, 901 KB) and inferred geology (zip, 3.46 MB).
GBC Report 2009-15 "QUEST Project: 3D inversion modeling, integration, and visualization of airborne gravity, magnetic, and electromagnetic data, BC, Canada" by Nigel Phillips, Thi Ngoc Hai Nguyen and Vicki Thompson, Mira Geoscience Advanced Geophysical Interpretation Centre:
- File L1710_5952000N_Section.pdf (zip, 1 MB) in Block C of VTEM Profile of Line Data and Conductivity Model. This file was missing from the original released dataset.
- Models - Physical Property Domains: the following two zip files are new.
- Maps -
- Grid data: Bedrock and Deep Overburden Conductivity (zip, 690 KB)
Power point presentations from Geoscience BC's Research Review Open House (Sept 17th, 2009):
- Presentation by Nigel Phillips, Mira Geoscience Ltd - "3D Inversion Modelling, Integration, and Visualization of QUEST Project Airborne Gravity, Magnetic, and Electromagnetic Data" (pdf, 11 MB): GBC Report 2009-15
- Presentation by Peter Kowalczyk - "Target generation from QUEST geochemical Data using the CSIRO SOM analysis results" (pdf, 4.04 MB): GBC Report 2009-14
Power point presentations from Burns Lake Workshop (Oct 9, 2009):
- Presentation by 'Lyn Anglin - "Investing in Geoscience: Positioning BC for Economic Recovery" (pdf, 2.58 MB)
- Presentation by Wayne Jackaman - "QUEST Regional Geochemical Surveys" (pdf, 8.61 MB)
- Presentation by Travis Ferbey - "Till Geochemical Surveys in QUEST-West Project Area" (pdf, 9.34 MB)
- Presentation by Garth Kirkham - "QUEST and QUEST-West Geophysical Surveys" (pdf, 9.34 MB)
- Presentation by Don MacIntyre - "Identifying New Exploration Targets using the QUEST-West Data and Inexpensive GIS Technology" (pdf, 3.23 MB)
Geoscience BC is an industry-led, industry-focused not-for-profit society. Its mandate includes the collection, interpretation and marketing of geoscience data and expertise to promote investment in resource exploration and development in British Columbia. Geoscience BC is funded through grants from the Provincial Government and works in partnership with industry, academia, government, First Nations and communities to attract mineral and oil & gas investment to BC.