Geoscience BC Report 2016-02
Search Project 2015 Airborne Magnetic Survey
by Precision GeoSurveys Inc.
- Report Description
- Geoscience BC Report 2016-02 presents the results of an airborne geophysical survey flown over a part of west-central British Columbia, covering a 6756 square kilometre area between the towns of Kitimat, Terrace and Smithers. Precision GeoSurveys Inc. conducted the aeromagnetic ("AMAG") survey between August and November 2015, using a heliborne stinger mounted system. The survey completed a total of of 29,821 line kilometres which were flown along 250 metre spaced lines using a pre-calculated drape.
This report presents details of the survey instrumentation, survey operations, data collection, QA-QC, data processing methods and survey results. Data processing included diurnal, lag and heading corrections. The data was leveled and the IGRF (International Geomagnetic Reference Field) was removed from the total magnetic intensity (TMI) to calculate residual magnetic intensity (RMI). To better match the Search data to other regional datasets, such as Geoscience BC's TREK project, the RMI was also leveled to that of the NRCan Aeromagnetic Database.
The report delivers survey information as data and grid files, image files and maps. The survey data is provided as an .xyz file (1.88 GB - available on request), Geosoft GDB file (834 MB); Geosoft grids, geotiffs, Mapinfo tiffs, kmz and pdf files. Map products of processed data include TMI, RMI, Vertical Derivative (VD), Reduced to Pole (RTP), Analytic Signal (AS), Horizontal Gradient (HG) and Tilt Derivative (TD). The report does not include interpretations of the geophysical dataset.
Back to Data Releases Main Page
- Report Components
- Report (.pdf):
- Survey Data (.gdb):
- Images(.geotiffs, mapinfo tiffs, kmz):
- Maps (.pdf,):
- Suggested Reference
- Precision GeoSurveys Inc. (2015): Airborne Magnetic Survey, Search Project, Geoscience BC, Report 2016-02, 62 p.
- Additional Links
- Project Page - Contains additional information on the Search Project
- Search Other Projects
- If you are interested in other Geoscience BC Projects of this type or in this area, try searching through all our projects: